Corn taco bowls offer a gluten-free alternative to wheat tortillas
For tonight's dinner, try dressing up your salad with a spicy mix of ground beef and black beans in a cute little gluten-free taco bowl
At the suggestion of my naturopathic doctor, I set out to plan my meals for two weeks of going gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free – a little cleanse of sorts.
Around the time I started planning my two-week menu I got really sick and decided it was too much to contend with to have so many restrictions in my diet when I could barely get out of bed.
When I got better, I decided that life's too short to go gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free.
Long story short, this is one of the meals that came out of my menu-planning session. It's gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free but full of flavour, full of healthy ingredients, and simple to prepare.
It's a keeper and I'm happy to report that, due to my lack of dietary restrictions, I washed it down with a beer.
I always buy organic extra-lean ground beef when it's available at my local grocery store. It doesn't cost that much more than regular extra-lean ground beef and it's nice to know that care was taken in preparing it.
- 500 g organic extra-lean ground beef
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 6 large handfuls mixed baby greens
- 6 tbsp salsa (see recipe here)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6 corn taco bowls
- Heat 1 tsp oil in medium frying pan over medium heat.
- Add half the onion, half the garlic, and half the jalapeno, cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add tomato paste and half the chili powder, stirring until well combined.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in separate frying pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat.
- Add remaining onion, garlic, and jalapeno, cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Add beans and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Mash beans with hand blender until mixture is chunky.
- On each plate, place a handful of greens and a taco bowl, fill with equal portions of beef and beans, and top with salsa and avocado.