Beef Shawarma with Lentils and Rice and Parsley Salad
Image by Catherine Roscoe Barr
Fragrant beef, hearty lentils and rice, and a fresh salad make up this tasty Lebanese meal
This incredibly flavourful Lebanese meal is super fresh and healthy, and easy to assemble for dinner
I've had a few Lebanese cookbooks out from the library lately and have been enjoying trying a few new recipes (like the Lebanese feast I made a few weeks ago).
The shawarma and lentil and rice recipes are from a great cookbook called The Lebanese Kitchen: Quick and Healthy Recipes by Monique Bassila Zaarour.
I made a few omissions because I couldn't find the mastic or sumac called for in the shawarma recipe. It still turned out wonderfully and is definitely a meal I'll make again.
I am especially in love with the lovely fresh parsley salad I made up, which was inspired by tabbouleh. I was happy to find another use for leftover parsley.
- 2 medium sirloin steaks, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- In a resealable bag, combine meat with remaining ingredients and let marinate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Remove meat from bag, discarding marinade, and carefully lay each piece flat on a baking sheet.
- Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink on outside.
Lentils with Rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup short-grain rice
- 1 can lentils, drained
- In large pot over medium heat, heat oil and add onions, stirring frequently until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Remove half of the onions for garnish.
- Add water, salt, pepper and rice to remaining onions.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Add lentils and bring back to boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, for about 20 more minutes, or until water has been absorbed.
- Plate and garnish with reserved onions
- 1 bunch parsley, stems removed, chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Combine all ingredients in large bowl, stirring well to combine.