Bell Pepper, Bocconcini and Black Bean Salad
Image by Flickr / lynn.gardner
This salad adds a splash of colour to dinner proceedings
This fresh and colourful salad makes for a great side dish. Add prawns, chicken, or turkey for a bigger punch of flavour
The abundance of fresh produce in all our urban markets is such an inspiration at this time of year.
This is a super-colourful side salad, but you can simply add grilled prawns, chicken or turkey to turn it into a tasty summertime main course.
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups cooked black turtle beans (or one 19 fl. oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups mini mini bocconcini cheese balls, drained*
- 3 cups small coloured grape tomatoes
- ½ bunch fresh tarragon, leaves only
- 1 large shallot, peeled and diced fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 heaping Tbsp tarragon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup tarragon vinegar
- ⅔ cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Good pinch of grey sea salt
- Ground five-blend pepper, to taste
*Mini mini bocconcini (extra-small mozzarella balls) can be purchased at Italian delis or the cheese sections of better supermarkets.
- Combine all the salad ingredients together in a large serving bowl and set aside while preparing the dressing.
- To make the dressing, stir together the shallot, garlic, mustard and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the oil and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly to mix.
- Add your choice of cooked shrimp, chicken or turkey, if desired, to create a main-course salad.
Serves 6 to 8.