Bloody Caesar Mussels
Image by Flickr / Andrew Scrivani
Ready in just five minutes, mussels make a quick and healthy meal
Spice up your mussels with a splash of Clamato
An amazingly easy way to prepare mussels using Canada’s favourite beverage mix. Who would have thought?
- 2 kg fresh mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large shallots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp. creamy horseradish
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups Clamato juice
- Clean the mussels well and discard any open ones that do not close after a slight tap on the shell. Set the cleaned mussels aside.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the diced shallots and minced garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add the chopped parsley, diced tomatoes and prepared horseradish. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid.
- Maintain the heat on low for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and the Clamato juice to the pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add the cleaned mussels and steam for 4 to 5 minutes, removing each mussel as the shells open and transferring to a large serving dish.
- Cover the mussels and keep warm.
- Bring the liquid to a rapid boil with the lid off and reduce liquid by half.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked mussels and serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 5