Meatless Mondays: Glory Bowl
Image by Catherine Roscoe Barr
The Glory Bowl is a healthy, easy and tasty way to kick off the new year
Yes! A super healthy meal that is super delicious, and packed with nutrient-dense ingredients like beets, carrots, spinach, almonds, brown rice, and apple cider vinegar
My family spent the holidays in beautiful, relaxing Victoria and shared many a fabulous meal.
For Christmas, my brother and his girlfriend bought my mom the Whitewater Cooks: Pure, Simple and Real Creations from The Fresh Tracks Cafe cookbook.
They live in Nelson, BC, where The Fresh Tracks Cafe is located, and have tried a number of the recipes there. I flipped through the cookbook and got excited about nearly every recipe (it's awesome from cover to cover), and when I suggested we make the Glory Bowl they wholeheartedly agreed.
This dish is so colourful and attractive, you just can't wait to dig in when it's put in front of you. I loved all of the different textures – crunchy almonds, chewy brown rice, and creamy sauce – and it's very hearty and satisfying.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup tofu, cubed
- 1 cup beets, grated
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 cup pea shoots (we added this to the recipe)
- 1 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 8 tsp water
- 8 tsp soy sauce
- 8 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- Cook rice and set aside.
- In large, lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat, saute tofu.
- In blender, or using hand blender and bowl, combine dressing ingredients.
- To assemble bowls, divide rice into 4 bowls and top with tofu, beets, carrots, spinach, pea shoots and almonds.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve.