Ranch-style Chicken Pitas with Avocado and Aged Cheddar
Image by Catherine Roscoe Barr
Cover all of your nutritional bases with fresh lettuce, whole grain pitas, lean protein from chicken, and healthy fats from avocado
When it's too hot to turn the oven on, electric grills are the perfect way to make quick and easy ranch-style chicken pitas for dinner
Our little apartment gets mighty hot in the summers, so our electric grill becomes a handy tool for making chicken. My local Nesters Market sells free-range chicken breast so I try and always have a few on hand in the freezer for quick and easy meals.
They're vacuum packed so it makes thawing them in the sink easy, as I don't like thawing meat in the microwave – who knows what scary things it does to the integrity of our food.
Once thawed, I baste the chicken breasts with some ranch dressing and toss them on the grill. The combination of juicy chicken, creamy avocado, sharp cheddar and crispy iceberg lettuce is a winner. I hope you'll love it too!
- 2 skinless boneless free-range chicken breasts
- 4 Tbsp. ranch dressing
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 4 1-oz slices aged cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, quartered
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- Brush chicken with 2 Tbsp. of ranch dressing
- Grease grill and cook chicken for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink in middle
- Smear avocado on pita and top with cheese, lettuce and remaining ranch dressing
- Chop chicken and divide between pitas