Spicy-sweet mulled wine, or gluhwein, is a staple at German Christmas markets. Translating literally to “glow wine,” it’ll warm you right down to the tips of your toes
This is our own special take on the traditional recipe – our gift to you as you get ready for the holiday season.
- 1 750 ml bottle inexpensive dry, full-bodied red wine (merlot, shiraz, cabernet or red zinfandel would all work nicely)
- ¼ cup (50 ml) orange juice
- ¼ cup (50 ml) raw sugar or honey
- 3-4 cardamom pods
- ½ tsp (2 ml) nutmeg
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange, sliced into 6 pieces
- whole cloves
- ½ cup (125 ml) brandy (optional)
- Mix wine, orange juice, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon and sugar or honey in a large saucepan.
- Embed 2 whole cloves in each orange slice and add to mixture.
- Warm at low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until just simmering, stirring occasionally, then shut off heat, cover and let stand for 45 minutes.
- Before serving, warm again at medium-low heat to desirable drinking temperature.
- Add additional sugar or honey to taste (and brandy if using).
- Strain out whole spices and orange slices, and serve in glass mugs or thick-walled goblets, garnished with a cinnamon stick or an orange slice.