Recipe: Lazy Gourmet Nanaimo Bar
Image by Flickr / ai.dan
The Nanaimo bar actually hails from Ladysmith, just south of Nanaimo
The dessert that put Nanaimo on the map, Nanaimo bars are a rich treat for chocolate lovers
My friend Susan Mendelson, owner and founder of The Lazy Gourmet, created this Nanaimo bar. Hers is by far the runaway best. She has made countless thousands over the years and is the undisputed queen of the iconic bar. Susan says the nuts can be easily eliminated if there are allergy concerns.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1 cup long-thread coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp. custard powder
- 5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the first four ingredients and set over boiling water.
- Stir until slightly thickened.
- Add next three ingredients.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan, pressing down to spread evenly.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Mix together all four Layer 2 ingredients and spread over the first layer.
- In a bowl, melt chocolate over hot (not boiling) water.
- Very slowly stir in the butter.
- Spread over the second layer.
- Refrigerate, then cut into squares.
Recipe courtesy Caren McSherry from the Gourmet Warehouse .