Tri-Colour Potato Salad
Image by Flickr / Little Blue Hen
This potato salad looks as good as it tastes
This colourful potato salad provides a healthy, substantial meal
It's all about our local potatoes, which come in many forms and colours.
For this simple summertime recipe, I have married purple Peruvians, Yukon Golds and whitte nuggets for a fresh combination of colours and flavours.
Tri-colour Potato Salad
- 1 pound purple Peruvian potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 pound B.C. white nugget potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 medium shallot, diced fine
- 2 heaping Tbsp. grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Yuzu vinegar (citrus-flavoured Japanese vinegar)
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Fleur de sel to taste
- Ground fresh pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 200 grams crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Boil the potatoes in boiling salted water until cooked through. Be careful not to overcook. When using potatoes in a salad, it is important that they hold together with integrity and not fall apart.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the shallot, mustard and vinegar in a large bowl and stir together. Slowly pour in the olive oil and continue whisking until the dressing is thick. Season dressing to taste with the fleur de sel and pepper then set aside.
- Drain the potatoes when cooked. Let the potatoes rest in the pot for a few minutes to ensure they dry out.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and pour the dressing over the hot potatoes. Gently toss to ensure that they are evenly covered with the dressing.
Just before serving, add all the herbs and the crumbled feta cheese, if desired. Serves 6 to 8.