Fat Burning, Strength Boosting Workout of the Day
Image by Curb Ivanic
You can boost your metabolism and your fitness with short but intense workouts
A great workout doesn't have to take hours but it does require honest effort in order to burn fat and boost strength
Here's a glimpse into what my gym workouts look like these days. I did this workout earlier today and then took a couple of clients through it. Funny, they didn't seem to enjoy it quite as much as I did. The entire workout, including warm-up and stretching afterward, took me less than 40 minutes.
Warning: This is not beginner friendly. You need a decent level of strength and fitness to do it. But if you have a good base, try it out.
Warm-up and Joint Mobilization Circuit
This set warms up the body, lubricates the joints and prepares the body to work.
- Foam roller on calves, glutes - 30 seconds per side
- Downward dog to cobra - 10 reps
- Two leg dynamic track stretch - 5 reps
- Ful squat to full standing back extension - 10 reps
- Spider climbs with rotation - 10 reps
- Thoracic spine mobilizations - 10 reps per side
Do this circuit twice.
Core and Joint Stabilization Circuit
The focus of this set is to strengthen and activate the muscles around the trunk.
- Deadbugs with exercise band around ankles and 10 lbs. dumbbells in hand - 20 reps
- Front plank with toe tap, exercise band around ankles - 20 reps
- Single leg ice skater, exercise band around ankles - 10 reps per side
- Knee drive with ankle extension, exercise band around ankles - 10 reps per side
As the name implies, the purpose of this set is to build strength. Use as heavy a weight as you can while keeping good form. Ladies, you can lift more than a 5 lbs. dumbbell and not bulk up to the size of Arnold.
- Single arm chest press with dumbbell - 5 reps per side
- Single leg pistol squat to 12 inch step - 5 reps per side
- Single arm inverted rows - 5 reps per side
Repeat this set three times.
Metabolic Finishing Circuit
You've hit the core, built some strength and now it's time to rev up your metabolism. This set incorporates a lot of work in a short time. Your heart will race and you will sweat! It will "finish" you off nicely.
- Split stance single arm cable row - 10 reps per side
- Kettlebell swings, single arm - 10 reps per side
- T-pushups - 10 reps
- Tuck jumps - 10 reps
Rinse and repeat three times.
Stretch all the major muscles, holding each stretch for 30 seconds.
And there you have it. Short and sweet. This workout won't make you bigger (I don't want to be a bodybuilder) but it will make you stronger, develop your core, improve your mobility and flexibility and increase your fat burning capacity. All in about 40 minutes. Do it two or three times per week.