Lift spirits this season with these five simple tips
With winter here and days shorter and darker, we’re cozying into our time at home. It can be challenging to not feel a little gloomy, but don’t let that dampen your mood.
Here are five ways to lift the spirits...
1. Try aromatherapy
Essential oils have incredible therapeutic and healing benefits. Pure bergamot, sandalwood, lavender, frankincense, sweet orange and ylang ylang essential oils contain natural properties that are known to improve your mood, balance emotions and relieve stress. Scentuals’ top-quality pure essential oils and roll-on blends make aromatherapy easy whether at home or on-the-go. Feeling festive? The local company offers limited edition holiday essential oil blends. Try making your own happiness-boosting essential oil blend with the recipe below...
- Two drops bergamot essential oil
- One drop ylang ylang essential oil
- One drop sweet orange essential oil
2. Do good
The saying goes, "Do good, feel good." And it’s true! Doing good has been scientifically proven to decrease stress, make us happier at work, promote mental health and increase happiness. It doesn’t have to be an extravagant gesture to reap the benefits. Here are some easy ways to do good...
- Shop local and support small businesses;
- Reduce, reuse, recycle... and donate items you no longer use;
- Volunteer at a local organization, like a food bank or animal shelter.
3. Adopt self-care practices
Prioritizing 'me time' is essential, especially when you are feeling busy and burnt out. While we love the idea of Self-care Sundays, dedicating a whole day to the topic is not always realistic. Here are a few easy ways to practice self-care...
- Make tea and call a loved one to catch up;
- Listen to a podcast;
- Take a bath and try the luxurious Scentuals' Bath Soak with epsom, sea and Dead Sea salts to detoxify your body. Not into baths? Treat yourself to the nourishing Hand and Foot Repair Cream, which works hard to alleviate dry itchy skin, with sweet almond oil, shea butter and vitamin E—a winter essential to protect against the harsh weather.
4. Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet
Keep it simple! Eat whole foods and avoid packaged options. Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables directly improve not only our physical health, but also mental health. Vitamin D, the 'sunshine vitamin', is produced naturally when we’re exposed to the sun. During this time of year, many people are deficient in vitamin D. Consider a supplement, eat foods rich in the nutrient, like mushrooms, fatty fish and leafy greens—or take a walk in the middle of the day. When we move our bodies, endorphins are released boosting our mood and increasing feelings of positivity.
5. Sleep well
When we lack quality sleep, feelings of negativity are amplified while positive emotions are diminished. Sleep allows both the body and mind to recover and perform at optimal level. There are several specific benefits to getting more sleep: improved memory, reduced stress, an immune boost and increased athletic performance. Here are a few simple tricks to increase the quality of your sleep...
- Maintain a consistent sleep schedule;
- Dim the lights before bed and let the light in during the morning hours;
- Create a bedtime routine that promotes restful sleep with the Scentuals Sleep Well collection. The 100 percent natural lotion, roll-on and mist are made with a beautiful blend of sleep-inducing essential oils including ylang ylang, lavender, jasmine, sandalwood, vanilla, sage and Roman chamomile.
What are your favourite ways to beat the winter blues? Let us know in the comments below.
Woman-founded Scentuals Natural and Organic Skin Care makes 100 percent natural skin and body care products with love in B.C. Find their products in-store at select Loblaws, Superstore, London Drugs, Pharmasave, Save On Foods, Safeway, Thrifty Foods, CosmoProf and other independent retailers.
CREATED BY BCLIVING, IN PARTNERSHIP WITH SCENTUALS NATURAL AND ORGANIC SKIN CARE