This rustic soup tastes like fall in a bowl
Packed with hearty vegetables and earthy herbs, this creamy vegan soup is filling enough to be called dinner. Serve with thick slices of bread or a batch of pull-apart biscuits for a match made in heaven.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, butter or vegan butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms (about 3 cups)
- 1 butternut squash (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into half-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (19 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried parsley)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup rice (we use jasmine)
- 1 cup Cashew Cream
- 1 cup roughly chopped curly kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or vegan Parm
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and the mushrooms have softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, celery, bay leaves, beans, parsley, sage, thyme and vegetable stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in the rice, cover, and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Add the Cashew Cream, kale and Parmesan and stir until combined. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
Serves 6 to 8; Prep time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 45 minutes
- Vegan: Use vegan butter and vegan Parm.
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free vegetable stock.
- Nut-free: Use table cream (18%) or unsweetened soy creamer instead of Cashew Cream. (If using table cream, the recipe will not be vegan.)
Excerpted from Fraiche Food Fuller Hearts by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2023 Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography by Rachelle Beatty. Published by Penguin, an imprint of Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.