These sweet and sparkly cookies from award-winning local chocolatier Thomas Haas make the perfect Valentine's Day dessert
- 1/2 lb bittersweet chocolate (Haas recommends Valrohna)
- 3 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp honey (Haas recommends blackberry)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered icing sugar as garnish
- Melt chocolate on top of a double boiler over simmering water. Remove from heat.
- Cut butter into small pieces and mix into heated chocolate until melted.
- Beat eggs, gradually adding the sugar and honey until light and the mixture falls into thick, smooth ribbons (about 10 minutes). Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Add the cocoa powder and salt to the ground almonds and mix. Gently add to the chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use an ice cream scoop to form the dough into one-inch balls. Working quickly, roll the balls in granulated sugar and place on baking sheet 2” apart.
- Bake at 325°F for 12 minutes, until the centre is moist but not wet. Cool slightly before dusting with powdered icing sugar.
Yield: Approximately 36 cookies