If Dad is a meat lover, cook him up ribs, duck breast or a pork chop this Father's Day
1. Glazed Pork Ribs with Apple Glaze and Rosemary
by Chef Trevor Bird, Fable Kitchen
- Start by preparing the ribs. Sprinkle a large pinch of salt over three racks.
- Place in an oven at 200 F for 8 to 12 hours.
- Remove and cool.
- Grill ribs on a BBQ until browned and brush with glaze (recipe below) for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Grate a fresh apple over ribs.
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 jalapeño, grilled and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, grilled and chopped
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil for 15 minutes.
Makes 1 litre; can be refrigerated for up to 3 months. Serves 6.
2. Seared Duck Breast with Orange and Green Peppercorn Reduction and Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
by Chef Emmanuel, Jules Bistro
- 4 X 7-8 oz duck breasts
- 200 ml orange juice
- 50 ml lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 10 ml soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp green peppercorns
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes in half-inch slices
- 4 tbsp duck fat (roast for half an hour in 375 oven)
- Season with sea salt, pepper and rosemary
- Combine orange juice, lime juice and honey and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and add honey, garlic and green peppercorns.
- Reduce until sauce has a syrup-like consistency. Add soy sauce and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pan, then seared duck breast on each side for 5 minutes on high heat, starting on the skin side.
- Remove from pan and wrap in foil. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the potatoes in the centre of the plates and slice the duck breast on top of the potatoes.
- Pour the reduction around the plate.
3. Grilled Pork Loin Chops with Apple Compote
by Chef Wayne Sych, Joe Fortes
- 4 X 12 oz thick-cut, bone-in pork loin chops
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 tsp soy sauce
1½ tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp Dijon
- 2 tsp honey
- Pinch cayenne
- Mix the orange juice, soy sauce, chopped garlic, Dijon, honey and cayenne together.
- Pour marinade over pork chops.
- Let pork chops marinade for 2-4 hours; turn halfway through to ensure pork chops are well coated in the marinade.
- Remove pork chops from marinade and pat dry, discard marinade.
- Heat BBQ to medium; grill pork chops to desired doneness (medium well preferably),
- Serve with apple chutney (recipe below).
Apple Chutney Ingredients
- 8 to 10 Granny Smith apples
- ½ cup champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
¾ cup white sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Put vinegars, lemon juice and sugar in pan and reduce until syrup consistency.
- Peel, core and dice apples. Add apples and star anise to syrup and cook 10-15 minutes or until apples are translucent.
- Season to taste.