Looking for something light, delicious and not too sweet?
Fresh seasonal berries pair beautifully with the tang of lemon and yogurt in this easy-to-make cake from Oh Sweet Day! bake shop in Vancouver.
Lemon Yogurt Cake
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
Lemon Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup fresh berries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, sugar, lemon zest and yogurt until well-combined.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt until incorporated.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake centre comes out clean.
- To prepare the syrup, place all the ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Reserve a tablespoon for the whipped cream. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, let it cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a pairing knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Peel off the parchment paper. Place cake on a wire rack.
- Pour the syrup on the warm cake, allow it to soak the syrup and cool completely.
- To prepare the topping, whisk the whipping cream and the reserved lemon syrup until it holds firm peaks. Gently spread a thick layer of whipped cream on top of the cake.
- Garnish with fresh berries and lemon zest.
Makes one 8-inch cake