We love a good dish of mashed potatoes
This Ukrainian-inspired version of a classic is beyond delicious—a generous portion of sweet caramelized onions mashed with fluffy boiled potatoes, cream or cashew cream, nutritional yeast (for that cheesy flavour), and fresh herbs.
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter or vegan butter, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup table (18%) cream or cashew cream, plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the peeled potatoes in half and place them in a large pot of salted Bring to a boil over high heat and cook the potatoes until fork- tender 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and mash with a potato masher or ricer until smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium frying pan over low Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir the onion mixture into the mashed potatoes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter, cream, nutritional yeast, chives, and dill. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Add more cream if needed. Transfer to a serving dish and serve with dill and chives to garnish if desired.
Serves 6; Prep time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 25 minutes
- Vegan: Use vegan butter and cashew cream.
- Nut-free: Use table (18%) cream or unsweetened soy creamer instead of cashew cream.
Excerpted from Fraiche Food Fuller Hearts by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2023 Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography by Rachelle Beatty. Published by Penguin, an imprint of Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.