Enjoy this novel way to eat lentils at breakfast. Fibre-rich and hearty to keep you fuelled through busy winter mornings
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (14 oz / 398 mL) coconut milk
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp (265 mL) water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, vanilla, oats, lentils, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- Pour into prepared dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The following morning, preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Remove plastic wrap and stir mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 10 to 12 minutes or until set in the middle.
- To serve, drizzle oatmeal with a bit more maple syrup and serve with fresh fruit, toasted nuts and seeds.
Per serving: 47 g carbohydrate, 5 g fibre, 26 g fat, 200 mg sodium, 12 g protein