Owner and chef Jason Sussman shares the recipe for Tacofino's famous nachos
- 1 pack of good quality corn tortillas, cut into chips
- Oil for deep-frying
- 10 jalapeño peppers
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup cheese mix (equal parts aged white cheddar, Monterey Jack and asadero)
- 1½ bunches cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 cup salsa fresca (recipe below)
- ¼ cup chipotle sour cream (recipe below)
- 2 tbsp queso fresca or feta cheese
- To fry chips, heat one inch of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat to 350°F. Fry a few chips at a time, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon, until crisp and lightly browned, about one minute or less. Drain chips on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- To roast the jalapeños, mix with oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast at 350°F until blistering (about 15 minutes). Take out of oven and cool. Dice.
- Lay chips in single layer on a baking pan. Cover with cheese making sure to cover each chip. Cover with another layer of cheese and some roasted jalapeños.
- Bake in oven at 350 to 400°F for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Take out of the oven. Add chipotle sour cream, salsa, queso fresca, and the rest of the cilantro. Serve with a side of jalapeños for anyone who likes a bit more heat. If you have any chorizo and black beans, add them on top for extra flavour.
Salsa Fresca Ingredients
- 10 roma tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño
- ½ red onion
- 1 tbsp salt
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Dice tomatoes, jalapeños and red onion. Rough chop the cilantro.
- Mix everything together and add the lime juice and salt.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
Chipotle sour cream Ingredients
- 1 litre sour cream
- 4 tbsp chipotle purée
- 2 tsp salt
- Mix all of the above ingredients together.