Enjoy this classic North African/Middle Eastern egg dish for an intensely flavourful breakfast, lunch or dinner
Recipe courtesy of The Lazy Gourmet
- 1 tsbp olive oil
- 12 mini lamb meatballs (recipe below)
- ¼ medium white onion, julienned
¼ large red pepper, julienned
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
½ tsp harissa
- 1 tsp za’atar
- 14 oz whole canned tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Allow to heat for 1 minute.
- Add lamb meatballs and brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add white onions, pepper and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add paprika, harissa and za’atar. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Using your hands, crush the tomatoes into the pan. Pour in remaining tomato juices as well. Mix and bring to a boil and season.
- Turn off heat. Crack eggs on top of tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place cast iron in oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes
- 3 cups arugula
4 tbsp olive oil
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a fork, whisk in olive oil.
- Toss with arugula. Serve with Shakshuka.
- 130 g ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp panko
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1½ tsp harrisa
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- In a small bowl, whisk egg. Set aside.
- Place ground lamb into a medium bowl.
- Measure 1 tsp of egg and place into ground lamb.
- Add panko, garlic, cumin, parsley, harissa, cinnamon, black pepper and salt.
- Mix all ingredients until combined.
- Divide into 12 pieces. Roll each one into balls. Set aside.