Try out this vegan borscht recipe from Kitskitchen with a dairy-free sour cream topping
Vegan Borscht Soup Ingredients
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1½ cups shredded cabbage
- ¾ cups chopped potato
- ½ cup rutabaga
- 1¼ cups shredded beet
- 1¼ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 4½ cups water
- Stir olive oil, garlic, onions, salt and pepper in pan until lightly sautéed.
- Pour in potato, rutabaga and beet. Stir until new and old ingredients are combined.
- Pour in water. Bring to rolling boil.
- Add in honey, apple cider vinegar and cabbage.
- Let lightly boil until cabbage is soft.
- Serve hot!
Makes 6 cups; serves 4
Vegan Sour Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- ¾ cup water
- 2½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoon cider vinegar
- A pinch of fine-grain sea salt
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight.
- The next day, drain and rinse the cashews.
- Place them in a blender with the remaining ingredients and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon a dollop (or two!) onto your soup and enjoy!
Makes 1 to 1¼ cups
Recipe courtesy of Kitskitchen