Avocado, Mango, Date & Yogurt Smoothie Recipe
- 2 cubed mangoes, fresh or lightly thawed from frozen (about ½ pound)
- 2 cups plain yogurt (you can do 1 cup yogurt and 1 cup milk if you want it thinner)
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, meat scooped out
- 6 Medjool dates pitted, or to taste
- lime juice to taste
- 2 pistachios, pecans or almonds, coarsely chopped, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Place the mango, yogurt, avocado, lime juice and dates in the blender and puree until completely smooth.
- Serve and sprinkle with pistachios on top.
Chocolate Avocado Peanut Butter Banana Pudding by Cassandra Anderton, Good Life Vancouver
- 1½ ripe avocados
- 1 large ripe banana
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- ⅓ cup salted creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup almond milk
Banana chips, whipped cream, coconut cream (optional for topping)
- Put avocados, banana, cacao powder, peanut butter and milk in processor and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Divide between 6 small jars or glasses.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for a few hours, or overnight.
- Top with whipped cream, whipped coconut cream, a drizzle of peanut butter and some banana chips. Enjoy!
Asian-Style Avocado Croquette by Laurent Godbout, chef at Chez l’Épicier
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed cashews
- ¼ garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 teaspoon marinated ginger
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten in ¼ cup of water
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Sufficient amount of cooking oil for deep frying
Lime & Soy Sauce Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a mixing bowl, blend the avocado with the oil, sesame seeds, cashews, garlic, chili powder, ginger and teriyaki sauce. Shape the mixture into balls and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, roll the avocado balls in the flour, then in the beaten eggs and finally in the breadcrumbs. Return to the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Remove the croquettes from the freezer.
- In a pot, heat oil to 350°F on the stove and deep fry the avocado croquettes for 3 minutes.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven at 300°F for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve with the lime & soy sauce mayonnaise.
- Lime & Soy Sauce Mayonnaise: Blend all of the ingredients and spoon into a small serving dish.
These avocado croquettes can be prepared and cooked days ahead and frozen. Simply reheat them in a 300°F oven for 5 minutes before serving.
Avocado and Raw Tuna Carpaccio by Laurent Godbout, chef at Chez l’Épicier
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 4 60 g pieces of fresh Bluefin tuna, sliced
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 4 radishes, cut into a fine julienne
- 15 ml rice vinegar
- 15 ml sugar
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons lemon olive oil
- Fleur de sel and fresh pepper to taste
- Spread a sheet of plastic wrap on the counter, and place a few avocado cubes on it. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap. Using a flat-bottomed pan, tap on the avocado cubes to flatten them into very thin slices. Place the slices in the freezer for 45 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Slice the radishes into a fine julienne and mix them with the rice vinegar and sugar. Marinate for 15 minutes, then drain.
- On a serving plate, carefully arrange the avocado slices and top of slices of tuna. Drizzle the orange juice over top.
Garnish with the rest of the ingredients, season and serve.
If you don't have lemon olive oil, replace it with olive oil and fresh lemon zest.
Avocado Cheesecake Served In Glass Jars by Laurent Godbout, chef at Chez l’Épicier
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 250 g packages cream cheese
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 gelatine leaf soaked in cold water
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 45 ml unsalted butter, melted
- Mix together all of the crust ingredients.
- Divide the mixture into the glass jars and press.
- In a food processor, blend the sugar, cream cheese and avocado into a smooth purée.
- Warm the lime juice in the microwave. Add the gelatine leaf and mix well.
- Whip into the avocado mixture and pour into the glass jars. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
This cake keeps very well in the freezer. It can therefore be made in advance and thawed gradually in the refrigerator a few hours prior to serving.
Flatbread with Grilled Red Peppers, Shrimp, Arugula and Avocado by Laurent Godbout, chef at Chez l’Épicier
- 1 naan flatbread
- 60 ml commercial Alfredo sauce
- 1 grilled red pepper, sliced into strips
- 15 ml olive oil
- 5 raw shrimp, peeled
- 1 avocado, quartered
- A few arugula leaves
- Fleur de sel and fresh pepper to taste
- ½ grilled lemon
- Brush the bread with the Alfredo sauce.
- In a skillet over high heat, sauté the shrimp in the olive oil and arrange on the bread.
- Add the red pepper slices. Bake in a 300˚F oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add the avocado pieces and arugula leaves. Season and drizzle a little olive oil over top.
- Serve with the grilled lemon.
Garnish with grated cheese and top off your presentation with a few slices of smoked salmon.
Open-Faced Avocado Sandwich with Honey and Sea Salt by Laurent Godbout, chef at Chez l’Épicier
- 1 loaf of country-style bread, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Parmesan shavings (Parmigiano Reggiano)
- Brush oil on the bread slices and grill both sides.
- Peel the avocados and cut into thin slices. Arrange the slices on the grilled bread and drizzle the rest of the oil over the slices.
- Drizzle the honey over the slices. Season and garnish with parmesan shavings. Serve.
- To enhance the presentation, add a touch of grated orange zest.
Yogurt with Avocado, Pomegranate and Granola by Laurent Godbout, chef Chez l’Épicier
- 500 ml (2 cups) Greek style plain yogurt
- The flesh of two small ripe avocados, cut into pieces
- 180 ml of your favourite granola mix
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Mix the yogurt and Avocados from Mexico in a blender.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with granola, maple syrup and pomegranate seeds.
Good fats are always in season with these delicious avocado recipes
Avocados are having a real moment right now. With 136.2 billion purchased in 2013 alone, all you need to do is look at your Instagram feed to see how hugely popular the fruit has become. What most people don’t know is that 80 per cent of these babies in the Canadian market are actually from Mexico and are always in season. Here are a few health facts about avocados: Click through for some easy recipes to incorporate the fruit into your diet. Statistics and facts according to Avocados From Mexico
Avocados are having a real moment right now. With 136.2 billion purchased in 2013 alone, all you need to do is look at your Instagram feed to see how hugely popular the fruit has become. What most people don’t know is that 80 per cent of these babies in the Canadian market are actually from Mexico and are always in season.
Here are a few health facts about avocados:
Click through for some easy recipes to incorporate the fruit into your diet.
Statistics and facts according to Avocados From Mexico