Ingredients for the Shells
- 6 egg whites, divided
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2½ tbsp water
- 1 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1¼ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Sift almond flour and icing sugar. Mix with 3 egg whites to form a paste.
- In a pot, cook sugar and water to 119°C. When the mixture reaches 114°C, start to whip remaining egg whites. Pour the hot sugar into the whites. Whites should be frothy, yet not at ribbon stage.
- Continue to whip until quite stiff and shiny.
- Fold into almond paste by hand, adding meringue in 3 additions.
- Pipe onto parchment paper, using a template for desired size. Let dry for 20+ minutes. Test by touching the top, which shouldn't damage the macaron at all.
- Sprinkle black sesame seeds on top of piped macaron shells.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Ingredients for Black Sesame Filling
- ½ cup butter
- 1 2/3 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp water (warm)
- 2/3 cup toasted black sesame seeds
- In a blender, pulse toasted sesame seeds til they turn into a fine powder, then add water in small amounts at a time until a smooth paste forms.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, cream butter and icing sugar together.
- Add the sesame paste and continue to mix util light and fluffy.
- Pipe onto one side of cooled macaron shell and place a second shell on top, gently sandwiching the filling between the two shells.
Makes 24 macarons.