Enjoy this cucumber cocktail on a lazy summer afternoon
This refreshing cucumber-infused drink is the ideal refreshment on a hot summer day
About midsummer those lovely homegrown cucumbers really start to flourish. For a few short weeks, sometimes it's hard to keep up with eating them all.
So drink them instead. Here's to happy hour in the garden!
Tall ‘n’ English
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) roughly chopped cucumber
- Juice of one fresh lemon
- Handful of mint or lemon balm, chopped
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) of honey simple syrup*
- 45 mL (1.5 ounces) of gin (or vodka, if you prefer)
1. Place all ingredients in a shaker with crushed ice.
2. Shake vigorously for at least one full minute (to break down the cucumber and dilute the alcohol slightly).
3. Strain into a tall glass over ice. Top up with soda water (or tonic, if you prefer a sweeter drink).
4. Garnish with a sprig of mint and a twist.
*Honey Simple Syrup
To make honey simple syrup, in a saucepan combine 125 mL (1/2 cup) honey with 125 mL (1/2 cup) water. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve. Cool. Pour into a small bottle and refrigerate until needed.