Credit: Savoury Chef Foods
- 200 g of cold smoked salmon/lox style salmon, cut into 20 thin pieces
- 20 potato crisps (recipe below)
- 3 tbsp caramelized lemon crème fraîche (recipe below)
- 1/4 shallot, finely diced
- 3 tbsp pickled cucumber (recipe below)
- 2 pieces of chive, finely chopped
- Place 1 piece of salmon on each potato crisp.
- Garnish with caramelized lemon crème fraîche, pickled cucumber, shallot and chive.
Yields 20 servings
Caramelized Lemon Crème Fraîche
- ¼ cup crème fraîche (I recommend Liberté)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Heat sugar in a small pot over medium high heat. It will melt, then quickly change colour. Remove from heat once it is golden (do not touch the sugar – it is very hot!).
- Add lemon juice and salt.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Mix with crème fraîche.
- ¼ cup cucumber, finely diced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, bring vinegar to a boil.
- Mix in honey and salt; cool to room temperature.
- Pour over cucumber and let sit in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour.
- May be kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- 1 medium yukon gold potato
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Using a mandoline, cut unpeeled potatoes into 3 mm slices.
- Soak in cold water for a minimum of 1 hour (up to overnight).
- Drain and dry thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a pot large enough for deep frying to 300F.
- Fry potatoes in batches until crisp and light golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towel.
- Season with salt and pepper.