These scrumptious sugar cookies can also double as tree ornaments
Grab a few of these festive sugar cookies for stringing onto the tree before they're all devoured
- 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) butter
- 177 ml (3⁄4 cup) sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 ml (3⁄4 tsp) vanilla
- 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 ml (1⁄2 tsp) baking soda
- 2 ml (1⁄2 tsp) salt
- Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F).
- Cream butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Blend well. The dough will be stiff.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out to 0.3 cm (1⁄8 inch) thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut with assorted cookie cutters. Place cookies 5 cm (2 inches) apart on cookie sheets sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks. Frost and decorate.
From Bonnie Stern’s Essentials of Home Cooking by Bonnie Stern
- 250 ml (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
- 1,500 ml (6 cups) icing sugar
- 80 ml (1⁄3 cup) milk
- 10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla
- In a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 4 cups of icing sugar.
- Beat in milk and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in remaining icing sugar. You may need to add additional milk to get the right consistency.
- Add food colouring as desired.
- Tightly wrap leftover icing.
From Pink Princess Cookbook by Barbara Beery
Cookie Stylist: Laura Sugden