Make use of the summer's bounty with this easy berry dessert
This traditional German dessert is a deliciously refreshing way to enjoy summer’s berry bounty
- 6 cup (1.5 L) mixture of raspberries, strawberries, red currants and sweet (or sour) cherries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
- ¼ cup 60 mL cold water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- Thoroughly stem, wash and dry the fresh berries and pit the cherries; thaw frozen berries (if using).
- Place all the fruit and sugar in a saucepan and cook gently over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- In a cup, combine the cornstarch, cold water and lemon juice. Gently stir the cornstarch mixture into the fruit; cook for two minutes until the fruit pudding has thickened.
- Place the fruit pudding in a bowl and refrigerate until thoroughly cooled.
- Serve topped with a dollop of whipped cream, vanilla sauce or low-fat frozen yogurt.
Makes 6 servings
Calories: 150; Fat 0.5 g; Carbohydrate 37 g; Protein 1.4 g; Fibre 4.9 g; Sodium 1.5 g
Originally published in Wellness Matters, Canada Wide Media’s quarterly newsletter on health and wellness.