Credit: Sharon Ng
Bring the fresh flavours of modern Vietnamese cuisine into your home with these chicken wings from Yaletown's newest addition House Special
- 2 lbs of chicken wings
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 cups of cold water
- 3/4 cups of fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-2 tsp sambal crushed red chili
- Chop garlic finely. Add fish sauce and sugar to bowl and mix until dissolved.
- Combine fish sauce
and garlic with water and add 2 lbs of chicken wings to a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 18 hours.
Uncle Hing’s Sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 cup palm sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cup hot sauce (store brand is fine)
- 1-2 tbsp unsalted butter (to taste)
- Mince the garlic and shallots in separate bowls.
- In a saucepan, sweat shallots for 2-3 minutes at medium heat before adding minced garlic, then lightly brown.
- Add hot sauce and fish sauce to pan and simmer.
- Break palm sugar into small pieces and add to sauce.
- Allow sauce to simmer until sugar dissolves.
- Turn off heat and add butter and dried chili to taste.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup of corn starch
- Combine ingredients into mixing bowl.
- Take wings from marinade and toss in dry batter.
- Deep-fry at 375 C for 8 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat enough sauce to coat wings and reduce until sugar begins to caramelize. Add chicken wings to sauce and quickly toss to coat.
- Plate wings and add chopped cilantro and Vietnamese pickles for brightness.