Signs You're in a Toxic Relationship
Image by iStock
Relationship heading in a downward spiral? It's not too late to turn things around
The side effects of an unhealthy relationship can seep into other parts of your life
The quality of your relationship with your significant other impacts every aspect of your life, including your career, your physical and mental health, and your social and family life.
That’s why living in an unhealthy relationship is so devastating. Toxic behaviours include:
- Routinely undermining the other person’s self-confidence
- Being quick to anger or display jealousy
- Frequently refusing to listen
- Being derisive about what the other person says or believes
- Behaving in an insulting or disrespectful manner in front of other people
- Trying to control or limit the other person’s contact with friends or family
- Pressuring the other to give up outside activities
- Creating an overwhelming sense of mutual dependence
- Taking pleasure in bullying or scaring the other
- Using guilt or threats
- Using physical violence against the other person in any way
Turning a Negative Relationship Positive
If any of these statements sound familiar, either because you commit them or because you are the recipient, take action. Working with a relationship counsellor (with your partner or on your own) can be extremely helpful. Ask your doctor for help in finding the right person.
If you don’t feel safe speaking up, ask a friend or your doctor for help in finding local resources that can assist you with leaving the relationship safely. You deserve to be happy. Do what’s right for you.
Originally published in Wellness Matters, Canada Wide Media’s quarterly newsletter on health and wellness.