Celebrate the Year of the Tiger with these special Lunar New Year gift options for friends and family
Get ready for the Year of the Tiger. Dawning on Tuesday, February 1st, Lunar New Year is the most important annual celebration throughout Asia and to many people around the world. It’s normally a time that brings extended families together for feasts and, like many other celebrations during the time of COVID, this year will be modified in structure, but not in spirit.
Whether you’re celebrating Lunar New Year as a long-standing family tradition or as a new cultural exploration, there are fun and meaningful ways to participate. It’s a joyous, lavish time that actually extends for 16 days, with plenty of food, drink and gift-giving. Wishing you all a safe, prosperous and healthy time ahead!
Here are our top eight picks for items to bring or send as you cheer on a new lunar year...
1. Dare to Dream Year of the Tiger Pendant by Bijoux Birks, $2,888
Bijoux BirksIf you want to spoil a special Tiger (born in the year 2022, 2010, 1998, 1986, 1974, 1962, 1950, 1938 or 1926), this exquisite, limited edition, red carnelian and 18 carat yellow gold pendant is a stunning keepsake. The front features an intricate mesh motif and nine diamonds weighing 0.15 carats, while the reverse keeps a diamond and golden tiger engraving close to heart. The 18 carat yellow gold chain is 18 inches long with shortening rings at 17, 16 and 15 inches.
2. Lunar New Year Chocolates by Purdys, from $2.50
PurdysPurdys never fails to impress, especially with their celebration-ready, limited edition Lunar New Year collection. If you’re not able to attend the traditional New Year’s Eve feast in person this year, send one of their red and gold-packaged gift boxes instead, and be there in spirit. Or, if you’re handing out lucky red envelopes, tuck one of their mini wrapped coins or medallions for an extra treat.
3. Concentrated Ginseng Renewing Serum by Sulwhasoo, $270
SulwhasooKorea’s top luxury skin care brand has dressed up one of its best sellers in a lucky red bottle that will bring you joy well past Lunar New Year. This limited edition rendition of the Concentrated Ginseng Renewing Serum contains the same fine-line targeting hydrating gel and encapsulated ginseng oil that will leave your complexion firmer, smoother and more resilient to environmental stresses. Each lunar year, Sulwhasoo incorporates traditional Asian arts into its limited edition collections and, this year, they’ve chosen to honour the art of knots. Each bottle is adorned with a good luck charm: a golden Chinese knot symbolizing longevity and good fortune.
4. Taj Mahal Quad Eyeshadow by Nars, $68
NarsInspired by the cult-favourite Nars blush, Taj Mahal, this eyeshadow palette echoes the original burnished golden-orange blush with four equally warm and vibrant eyeshadow colours, all packaged in limited edition metallic red and gold. Shades include a yellow gold shimmer, shimmering light peach, burnished orange with golden shimmer and purple red matte. Use these shades to greet the Year of the Tiger with smouldering intensity.
5. Johnnie Walker Blue Label Limited Edition, $374.95
Johnnie WalkerInside, you’ll find a scotch whisky that’s light on peat with aromas of caramel, cereal and citrus. Outside, you’ll find a beautifully intricate bottle created especially for Lunar New Year. This limited edition bottle was designed by Chinese artist Shan Jiang, and pays homage to the tiger as a symbol of strength and progress. Here, the tiger is depicted with golden wings, perched high amongst the mountain clouds, ascending towards a modern metropolis–a sign of prosperity that signifies good fortune for all in the year to come.
Currently available at select retailers across Canada
6. Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate by Shiseido, $185
Awaken your skin with Shiseido’s hero product, Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate. The limited edition packaging is in collaboration with Chinese designer Angel Chen, who juxtaposes a tiger motif with Shiseido’s signature camellia flower, symbolizing the brave and beautiful modern woman. This is a serum booster, meant to be used immediately after cleanser, before other toners, lotions or serums.
7. Lunar New Year Makeup Superstars by Sephora, $59
SephoraBe celebration-ready with this amazing 'favourites' set from Sephora, featuring seven truly iconic products in regular and deluxe sample sizes.This kit includes:
- Hourglass Mini Ambient Lighting Blush in At Night;
- Velour Lashes Effortless Lash in Mini Me;
- Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder;
- Lancôme Lash Idôle Lash-Lifting and Volumizing Mascara;
- Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick in 01;
- Tom Ford Lip Color Matte Lipstick in Scarlet Rouge;
- Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid.
8. Wished of Beauty Majestic Rejuvenation Ritual Set by Valmont, $995
ValmontThe Wished of Beauty gift set is truly extravagant, featuring items from Valmont’s l’Elixir des Glaciers collection, including:
- Vos Yeux: An eye treatment targeting wrinkles, puffiness and dark circles, and formulated with triple DNA, caffeine and green tea;
- Sérum Majestueux Vos Yeux: A soothing eye serum containing the essence of bees, DNA and eye lifting complexes;
- Cure Majestueuse: A radiance-restoring veil featuring sturgeon DNA to help with elasticity and density;
- Eye Regenerating Mask Treatment (Two): Indulge in a 20-minute collagen eye mask for anti-aging and anti-fatigue benefits, and featuring caffeine and collagen for intense hydration;
- Five lucky red envelopes for gifting;
- Reusable tote bag.