Recipe: Blueberry Mojito
Image by iStock/Juanmonino
Add blueberries to this mint and rum mojito for a summery version of this Cuban cocktail
This traditional Cuban cocktail made with mint and rum is given a West Coast twist with the addition of sweet blueberries
B.C. blueberries are in season until early October, so pick your own crop at one of British Columbia’s many blueberry farms and shake up this summer sipper.
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) divided blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup (125 to 175 ml) lemonade
- Splash soda
- 1 ounce (30 ml) light rum
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) dark rum
- Mint sprig for garnish
- Lime slice for garnish
- In a tall 16-ounce (500 ml) glass, add mint leaves, lime juice and sugar; mash the ingredients with the back of a spoon or a "muddler" until fragrant.
- Add 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the blueberries and mash until juicy.
- Fill the glass three-quarters full with ice.
- Add lemonade until the glass is two-thirds full.
- Add a splash of soda, light rum and remaining blueberries; stir.
- Slowly pour dark rum into the drink so it floats on top.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint and slice of lime; serve immediately.
Yield: 1 portion
Recipe courtesy BC Blueberry Council.