In the lead up to the Chocolate Challenge, chef Steven Hodge from Temper shares his recipe for creamsicle chocolate
On Thursday, May 2nd, seven of Vancouver's master chocolatiers will go head-to-head for The Gourmet Warehouse’s 7th annual Chocolate Challenge. The proceeds from this year's event will benefit the Vancouver Firefighter Charities Snacks for Kids program, Project Chef, and the Strathcona Backpack Program.
The event takes place from 6:30 to 9 pm at The Gourmet Warehouse in East Van. Tickets are $79 per person and include wine and assorted food stations.
This recipe for creamsicle chocolate is from Temper Chocolate and Pastry, a participant in the event. While this is not the chocolate they will present at the challenge, it is a great recipe to try at home...
- 3 cups white chocolate, Valrohna Ivoire
- 1 cup 36 percent cream
- ⅓ cup invert sugar
- 3 vanilla bean pods, seeded
- 3½ tbsp orange zest
- 4 tbsp orange juice, reduced
- ¼ cup butter
- 5 tbsp Grand Marnier
- Combine the cream, sugar, vanilla, zest and juice.
- Bring to a boil and steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain over melted chocolate gradually in thirds maintaining an elastic and shiny core.
- Cool ganache to 35 C and then emulsify butter in.
- Mix in Grand Mariner and poor into frame to cool.