Chef Umberto Menghi from Vancouver's legendary Giardino restaurant shares his recipe for mushroom pappardelle
"I love mushrooms and this is one of my favourite recipes because the mushrooms stick well to the pappardelle, an egg noodle. It is a full bite in the mouth. –Umberto Menghi
- 1 pack of pappardelle, use one “nest” of pappardelle per serving
- 1 tbsp Domenica Fiore extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup porcini mushrooms, sliced julienne
- 1 tbsp white onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 2 tbsp white wine
- A pinch of thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pappardelle according to package instructions. Reserve some pasta water when cooking.
- Slice and sear mushrooms over high heat with olive oil and then add the chopped white onions.
- Lower to medium heat, then add the garlic followed by splashes of white wine.
- Add a bit of thyme on top.
- Toss in the pappardelle, and remember to incorporate a bit of pasta water.
- Grate some Pecorino Romano cheese on top and toss. Enjoy!