Celebrate Pancake Day on Tuesday, January 28th with these citrus-infused flapjacks
Yield: 10-12 pancakes
- 1½ cups (225 g) B.C. blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw)
- 2 cups (275 g) all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3 tsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) nutmeg
- ¼ tsp (pinch) ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp (pinch) ground clove
- ¼ tsp (pinch) salt
- 2 large (100 g) eggs
- ¾ cup (180 mL) milk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange zest, finely grated
- ¼ cup (60 mL) orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, toss 1 tsp of flour with the blueberries and set aside. If using frozen, return to freezer.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter, maple syrup, orange zest, juice, and vanilla.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Fold in the blueberries.
- Heat a ¼ tsp of vegetable oil in a non-stick pan over a medium low heat.
- Spoon a ¼ cup of batter into the heated pan, cook until golden on each side and serve immediately with fresh blueberries and maple syrup.