This squash dish goes well as a side dish with your roast turkey or ham, and also serves as great comforting meal on its own
- 1 large butternut squash (kabocha squash works too)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sticky rice
- 1/2 cup chestnuts, (packaged, ready to eat)
- 1 Chinese sausage “Lap Cheong,” sliced thinly (or lardon, bacon, chorizo, sausage)
- 1 green onion, sliced 1/4"
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp kecap manis soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sticky rice:
- In a bowl, wash the sticky rice with water. Rinse till water runs clear.
- Soak the sticky rice with with 3 cups of water for at least 2 hours. Leave it in water overnight preferably.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Strain soaked rice with a large metal mesh strainer.
- Leave the strainer resting on the pot of boiling water with the sticky rice in the strainer mesh. Cover the pot with a lid. (Note: It's best if the mound of rice is no more than 2” high and there is at least 3” between the boiling water and the bottom of the strainer mesh.)
- Turn the heat down on stove till water is at a gentle boil.
- After 15 minutes, with a spatula or spoon, stir and flip the sticky rice so all the rice grains cooks evenly.
- The rice should be completely cooked after about 20 to 30 minutes. You can tell when the rice is cooked when the grain of rice is entirely translucent.
- Remove rice onto a plate. It should slide off easily.
For the squash:
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove seeds and fibers.
- Drizzle cut sides with 3 teaspoons olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- On cookie sheet, place squash, cut-sides down.
- Bake 25 to 40 minutes until squash is tender at thickest portion when pierced with fork.
- When cool enough to handle, spoon out the flesh.
- While still warm, mash the squash with a fork. Season to taste.
- Once seasoned, spoon the squash back into the shell.
Fry sticky rice stuffing:
- In a wok or non-stick pan, add a little oil to coat the cooking surface.
- Turn heat on high. As soon as oil starts to smoke, add the sausage and chestnuts. Keep stirring to ensure even cooking.
- Add the rice, keep stirring and turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the soy sauce and evenly coat the rice with it.
- Add the kecap manis and caramelize the rice.
- Turn heat back on high to fry the rice for minute.
- Turn heat off completely and stir in the green onions.
- Spoon the fried sticky rice on top of the squash.